Family & Consumer Sciences
Spiced Pumpkin Hummus with Pita Chips
Fresh Vegetable Tray & Dip
Fall Harvest Salad
Apple Cranberry Walnut Salad
Green Bean Medley
Fresh Tomato Sauce with Whole Wheat Pasta
Roasted Fall Vegetables
Pineapple Carrot Muffins
Cucumber, Corn and Bean Salsa with Pita Chips
Apple Spice Hummus
Kale & Cranberry Salad
Leaner Kentucky Hot Brown
Pumpkin Apple mini-muffins
Strengthening Family Relationships during the
There is no better time to strengthen the most important relationships in your life than during the holiday season. Holidays can be very busy and stressful, but they can also be opportunities to celebrate life with the people you love. Here are some ideas for strengthening family relationships during the holidays:
- Shift your focus from what you have to get done to what you want to experience with the people you care about. There are so many things around the holiday season that we have to get done. It can make the holidays feel like one big giant obligation. Shift your attitude from obligation to your hopes for your family during the holidays. It may surprise you how much a shift in focus can do.
- Make your goal clear. Let your family know that your No. 1 goal is to strengthen your family during the holiday season. Use language that makes it something everyone will want to do rather than something people feel forced to do. Communicate your goals for how you plan to strengthen relationships with each member of your family. When you communicate that you care about people and tell them they are your No. 1 priority, it can be amazing how they will respond.
- Practice self-care. We are happiest and most likely to have positive exchanges with our families when we are taking proper care of ourselves. Get enough rest and eat regular meals. Do something you enjoy or have been wanting to do and take a little “me time.” You will surprise yourself when you realize how much more positive your family interactions can be after you have taken some time to care for yourself.
- Put down the technology and focus on each other. We all spend too much time on computers, iPads, smart phones and other technologies. The best way to strengthen family relationships is to do something together and focus on each other. Play a fun family board game. Volunteer at a food pantry or nursing home as a family. Bake your favorite dessert together. Tell jokes together. It doesn’t matter what you are doing, just do it together.
- Spend time reflecting together as a family. What are your favorite memories from past holidays? What traditions are important to your family? How can we work together as a family to keep a focus on the positive? How can we work as a family to reduce stress? Sharing these reflections can help to reduce future conflict & help people feel understood.
References: Brain Pathways (2013). Strengthening Relationships During the Holidays. Brain Pathways Blog. Available at https://blog.brainpathways.net/2013/10/22/strengthening-relationships-during-the-holidays-2/. Source: Kerri Ashurst, Senior Extension Specialist for Family and Consumer Sciences, University of Kentucky; College of Agriculture, Food and Environment.
Home pressure canner gauges should be tested on an annual basis for accuracy. This ensures that the foods canned will be receiving the proper pressure in order to correctly process your items. Without the proper pressure, your canned goods may contain bacteria that could seriously harm yourself, your family or your friends! This service is offered to you at your local Shelby County Cooperative Extension office. You may drop off your pressure canner on a Monday and we will have the results for you the following Friday.
Choose My Plate: ChooseMyPlate.gov
Plate It Up! Kentucky Proud Recipes: www2.ca.uky.edu/hes/piukp
MoneyWise Money Management: http://www.uky.ag/moneywise/
Check us out on Facebook:
Shelby County Homemaker Newsletter: